Marconi Website Design and Content by Eric Krause, Krause House Info-Research Solutions ( 1996)
All Images Parks Canada Unless Otherwise Designated

  Researching the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
  Recherche sur la Forteresse-de-Louisbourg Lieu historique national du Canada

Search All Sites/All Menus ~
Cherche Tous les Sites/Tous les Menus

Marconi at Louisbourg Site
Trans-Atlantic Receiving Station
1913 - 1926

Louisbourg Receiving Station: 1913 - 1926

Timeline

BACK 

*

LOUISBOURG RECEIVING STATION HIGHLIGHTS

1912 /
1913

Transatlantic business had grown enough to warrant receiving stations being opened at Letterfrack, Ireland, and at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia and the duplex trans-Atlantic service began in 1913

1914 /
1918

(1)The station, with its staff of twenty-five, including censors, was considered to be an important military target, and was guarded by the 94th Highlanders
(2) Vacuum tubes were introduced into its receiving circuits, but cautiously at first, keeping the older crystal detectors and Brown available as back-ups at the flip of a switch
(3) The receiver house was renovated and modified structurally to reflect these new  arrangements

1915

The CW system was used at Louisbourg in a successful experiment to receive CW signals from the U.S. naval radio station in Arlington, Virginia

1916

Electric typewriter punches replaced the hand punch to produce perforated paper tapes

1919

The first east-to-west transatlantic voice transmission was made from a Marconi station in Ballybunion, Ireland (using only three high powered vacuum tubes in the transmitter) to the Louisbourg receiving station

1920

Staff of twenty-two at Louisbourg

1926 /
1927

The long wave transatlantic service with its Cape Breton stations was now obsolete, and was closed (The closing of the Louisbourg station was hastened by a fire that destroyed the receiver building in 1927)
Post 1926
/ 1927
The residential buildings were dismantled and used for houses elsewhere
Post 1960 The site of Louisbourg station is now a picnic area in the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Park