Website Design and Content © by Eric Krause,
Krause House Info-Research Solutions (© 1996)
All Images © Parks Canada Except Where Noted Otherwise
Report/Rapport © Parks Canada / Parcs Canada --- Report Assembly/Rapport de l'assemblée © Krause House Info-Research Solutions
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
Recherche sur la Forteresse-de-Louisbourg Lieu historique national du Canada
THE DAUPHIN FAUXBOURG
August 26, 1971
(Fortress of Louisbourg
Report MRS 60)
This report was prepared in the following manner:
1. A preliminary list of inhabitants was prepared from the concession records located to date.
2. The selection lists for AFO G2 and G3 were checked for these names and for references to properties in the fauxbourg.
3. All the references found were checked on microfilm, as well as the concessions in AFO G1, and a new list of names was prepared.
4. This second list was also checked in the AFO G2 and G3 selection lists and the references checked on microfilm.
5. The AC B and AC C11B index cards were checked up to 1745, but no cards or microfilm were checked beyond this date.
6. All index card references dealing with structural details were checked on microfilm.
7. The Siege journals, both English and French were read.
8. A thorough study of all the maps and plans was made.
None of the other series were checked. No attempt has been made at a thorough biographical study of the inhabitants of the fauxbourg. This could prove useful, but would be very time-consuming.
MANUSCRIPT SOURCES - MICROFILM
Public Archives of Canada.
Archives des colonies, Série B.
Archives des colonies, Série C11B.
Archives des colonies, Série F3, vols, 50, 51 (Collection Moreau St. Méry).
Archives de la France d'outre-mer, Série G1.
Archives de la France d'outre-mer, Série G2.
Archives de la France d'outre-mer, Série G3 (Note: the microfilm is unpaginated and the numbers used in the footnotes refer to the numbers in the Louisbourg selection lists).
Archives de la France d'outre-mer, Dépot des fortifications des colonies.
Archives du Comité Technique du Génie Manuscrits reliés, Registre 66.
B. UNPUBLISHED SOURCES
BAKER, Raymond F. The Siege of Louisbourg 1745, A Preliminary Study. 1966. Unpublished report in the archives of the Fortress of Louisbourg, National Historic Park.
FOSTER, Wayne E. The Post-Occupation History of the Old Town of Louisbourg 1760-1960. 1965: Unpublished report in the archives of the Fortress of Louisbourg, National Historic Park.
Gibson Clough Journal. Original manuscript in the archives of the Fortress of Louisbourg, National Historic Park.
C. PRINTED PRIMARY SOURCES
de FOREST, Louis Effingham, ed. Louisbourg Journals 1745. Society of Colonial Wars, New York, 1932.
de FOREST, Louis Effingham, ed . The Journals and Papers of Seth Pomeroy. Society of Colonial Wars, New York, 1926.
The Diary of Nathaniel Knap of Newbury. Society of Colonial Wars, New York, 1905.
"Dudley Bradstreet's Diary " Massachusetts Historical Society Proceedings, 1897.
"Expedition to Cape Breton: Journal of the Rev Adonijah Bidwell, Chaplain of the Fleet " New England Historical and Genealogical Register, XXVII.
[GREEN, Benjamin], "The Sir William Pepperrell Journal ." Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society. 1909.
WRONG, George M , ed., Louisbourg in 1745, The Anonymous Lettre d'un habitant de Louisbourg, Warwick Bros. & Rutter, Toronto, 1897.