Encampment2006 Website Design and Content © 2005 by Eric Krause,
Krause House Info-Research Solutions (© 1996)
All Images © Parks Canada Unless Otherwise Designated
Researching the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada ~ Recherche sur la Forteresse-de-Louisbourg Lieu historique national du Canada
|INTRODUCTION||The 1895 General Society of Colonial Wars Monument||The 1939 Unveiling
of 3 Monuments
Over the course of its long history there have been a number
of monuments erected at historic Louisbourg in Nova Scotia, Canada. The partial
reconstruction of the 18th-century fortified town, beginning in the
1960s, is the most spectacular monument to a period in history, but there were
other commemorations, which can still be seen during a visit to the Fortress of
Louisbourg National Historic site.
1946 Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame Monument
In the ruins of Louisbourg there is a monument, erected in 1946, to the memory of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame who taught in Louisbourg.
Immediately behind the monument are the stabilized ruins representing the
In 1895 members of the General Society of Colonial Wars visited Louisbourg and the unveiled a red granite column at the fortress site.
The Society of Colonial Wars was organized in New York in
1892. Soon there were chapters in other states. The purpose of the Society was
to commemorate events from the pre-revolutionary period of the United States.
"Triple unveiling ceremonies were held on August 10, 1939, at the old Cemeteries at Rochefort Point, the unveiling of "The Memorial Cross." "The Newton Replica" and "The Brothers’ Memorial Monument." All three monuments were subscribed to and placed by friends of the dead on Rochefort Point. The celebration took place in the afternoon. Though the weather was not ideal for such an outing the assembly was large. Over three hundred signed the Museum and Hospital registers, and as many more did not sign on account of the delay and weather. . . The clergy throughout the southern section of Cape Breton were well represented; also Sisters of Notre-Dame Order . . . Automobiles from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and California, as well as many from Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec, were seen in the parking lot.
The unveiling celebrations began at three o’clock in the afternoon His Worship, Mayor Huntington, performed the duties of chairman with his usual ability. . ." [Almon, Albert, Rochefort Point: A Silent City in Louisbourg, Glace Bay, Cape Breton, 1940, pp. 15 - 17
Read More Below
Update / Dernière mise à jour:
June 19, 2017 12:03