Website Design and Content © by Eric Krause,
Krause House Info-Research Solutions (© 1996)
All Images © Parks Canada Except Where Noted Otherwise; Research © Bill O'Shea
Fortress of Louisbourg
National Historic Site of Canada
Recherche sur la Forteresse-de-Louisbourg
Lieu historique national du Canada
Search All Sites/All Menus ~
Cherche Tous les Sites/Tous les Menus
THE BILL O'SHEA WEBSITE
LOUISBOURG HISTORICAL NOT-FOR-PROFIT SOCIETIES
Louisbourg Heritage Society
Heritage Society publications include books, a Heritage Note series and a regular contribution to the Seagull, the Louisbourg Senior Citizens monthly newsletter which has operated in the community for almost 20 years. This includes a birding column entitled "For the Birds".
Jean Kyte. A Brief History of Louisbourg Schools, originally published 1989, reprinted July 1995. ISBN 1- 896218-01-6. 11 pages
William A. O'Shea with Helen A. O'Shea and Jean Kyte, Louisbourg Streets, September 1990, ISBN 0-9694720-0-5, 48 pages. OUT OF PRINT
Jean Kyte. The 50s in Louisbourg. The 50s High School Reunion, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, 1990. 34 pages. School photographs and class lists from the 1950s. OUT OF PRINT
William A. O'Shea. The Louisburg Brass Bands. February 1991. ISBN 0-9694720-1-3. 48 pages. General introduction concerning Cape Breton Bands, history of 3 Louisbourg Brass bands, photographs.
Margie Cameron. Zion Presbyterian Church, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. June 1991. ISBN 0-9694720-4-8. 32 pages.
Jean Kyte. A History of the First United Church, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. 1992. ISBN 0-9694720-6-4. 72 pages. Including the history of St. James Methodist Church, Calvin Presbyterian Church, Kennington Cove Church, Clarke's Road Congregation, Catalone and Mira United Church and MacMillan Memorial United Church, Catalone, Nova Scotia.
Louisbourg High School Homecoming '92, July 1992, ISBN 0- 9694720-7-2. 32 pages. Names & addresses, photographs, historical points of interest. OUT OF PRINT
William A. O'Shea & Helen A. O'Shea. Stella Maris, Roman Catholic Church, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. October 1993. ISBN 0-9694720-8-0. 102 pages. Brief history of 18th- century church, Louisbourg in the 19th and 20th centuries, photographs, brief histories of church organizations since the early 20th century.
William A. O'Shea. The Louisbourg Fire Department, Louisbourg Nova Scotia. June 1995. ISBN 1-896218-04-0. 68 pages. History from French period to present. Photographs, lists of volunteer firefighters and auxiliary members. Limited Edition of 300 copies.
Old Town Reunion Committee. Old Town Reunion. August 1995. ISBN 1-896218-03-2. 36 pages. Brief history of Old Town by Charles Burke, names and addresses, photographs including photographs of individuals houses in the Old Town area in the mid 1960s prior to expropriation for the Fortress of Louisbourg reconstruction project.
Louisbourg Heritage Society Christmas Carols. October 1995, ISBN 1-896218-05-9. 15 pages, 37 traditional carols.
William A. O'Shea, Carol Corbin, Eric Krause, eds. Proceedings of the Conference, Cape Breton in Transition: Perspectives on Tourism and Economic Development. October 1995, Sydney & Louisbourg, Nova Scotia. ISBN 1-896218-07- 5. 120 pages including opening address by Dr. Robert Cox, the President of the Sierra Club and 9 other papers.
A four page review of topics of significance to Louisbourg.
William A. O'Shea. "St. Bartholomew's Churchyard and Churches in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia." Heritage Notes, No. 1, April 1991. ISBN 0-969472-3-X.
William A. O'Shea. "The Town of Louisbourg in 1901." Heritage Notes, No. 2, July 1991. ISSN 1183-5834, ISBN 0- 9694720-5-6.
Jean Kyte. "Rescued by Gallant Fishermen." Heritage Notes, No. 3, January 1993. The stranding of the United States Sub Chaser 709 at the entrance to Louisbourg Harbour in January 1943.
B. A. Balcom, A.J.B. Johnston, William A. O'Shea. "1995 - A Year of Commemoration." Heritage Notes, No. 4, February 1994. ISSN 1183-5834, ISBN 0-9694720-9-9.
William A. O'Shea. "Louisbourg Navy League Hut (A Provincial Heritage Property)." Heritage Notes, No. 5, May 1994. ISSN 1183-5834, ISBN 0-9694720-00-8.
Jean Kyte. "Special VE Day 1995 Edition." Heritage Notes, No. 6, May 1995. ISSN 1183-5834, ISBN 0-9694720-02-4. One time only expanded edition of 12 pages. Year by year journal of WWII in Louisbourg.
A. J. B. Johnston. "The Congregation of Notre-Dame in 18th-Century Louisbourg." Heritage Notes, No. 7, July 1995. ISSN 1183-5834, ISBN 0-9694720-06-7.
Bill O'Shea, Louisbourg's Lighthouses, Heritage Notes, August 13, 2005
Source: Helen O'Shea
William Anthony O'Shea
October 14, 2019
William A. O’Shea
William Anthony O’Shea was born in Cornwall on October 16, 1946. He was educated in Cornwall graduating from CCVS. He graduated from St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto with an M.A. in Social Anthropology. It was there he met his future wife Helen Anne Nixon. He had a long and distinguished career with Parks Canada National Historic Sites. He worked in Placentia, Newfoundland as the first superintendent of Castle Hill and later spent more than 40 years at the Fortress of Louisbourg, in Louisbourg, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and later in Cornwall.
He was a manager of dedicated professionals and found his career both challenging and fulfilling. His passion was genealogy, research, writing and community service.
Bill spent his retirement enjoying yard work, genealogy, birding, traveling, and being with his grandchildren, whom he loved dearly.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 51 years, Helen Anne and his sons Patrick (Carolyn Baker) and grandchildren Kathryn, Justin, William and Eleanor of Cornwall and Kevin (Mai) and grandchildren Kai and Rina of Shenzhen, China.
He is also survived by his loving siblings: Catherine (Stan), Brenda (Willie), Fay (Jim), Florence (Michael, deceased), Heather (Len), Molly (Tom), Michael (Jo-Anne), Terrence (LaVaun), Sheila (Bryan), Thomas, Peggy (Dan), Ronald, Pamela (Terry), Kelly, Ann (Lorne) and many nieces and nephews. He is predeceased by his brother Peter and father Anthony and mother Irene.
Visitation will be held at Wilson Funeral Home in Cornwall, Ontario on Friday, October 18th, between 2:00 - 5:00 pm. In keeping with William’s wishes, no flowers are to be donated. Donations can be made to the Cornwall Hospital Foundation at cornwallhospitalfoundation.ca. Interment to be held at a later date.
Back to the Louisbourg Heritage Page